Mangaluru: For the second time in succession in two days, half a kilogramme of gold was seized from an air passenger at the international airport on Wednesday.
Mohammed Shameer of Pallattungal in Kasaragod was found carrying 570 gms of gold worth Rs 15,90,300. The metal was converted into very thin sheets and found concealed inside the suitcase cover. He has been arrested and further investigations are in progress
It was only on the previous day that the department of revenue intelligence (DRI) officials had seized 583 gms of gold worth Rs 16.33 lakh, brought hidden in the rectum by a passenger. With the permission of a local court, it was extricated by a surgery at the government Wenlock hospital.
The haul made at the airport in two days has risen to 1.153 kgs. Sources at the airport said that the carriers appeared uneducated and financially backward. Some big players at the international level could be operating a cartel of gold smuggling, offering paltry sums to such people in desperate need for money in return for carrying the gold and taking the risk.
The Gold Story:
- Mangaluru: 5 Gold Bars Seized at MIA from Passenger Concealed in Rectum
- Mangaluru: 2 Kg of Gold Worth Rs 52.9 Lakh Seized at MIA- Passenger & AirportShop Staff Arrested
- Mangaluru: 749 Gram Gold Worth Rs 16.49 Lakhs Seized at MIA – Woman Arrested
- Mangalore: Gold Worth Rs 30.6 Lakh Seized from Air Passenger at MIA
- Mangalore: 39 Gold Pieces Worth Rs 25.2 Lakhs Seized at MIA
- Mangalore: Gold! Worth Rs 28,20,182 Concealed in Base of Trolley Bags! Seized at MIA
- Mangalore: It’s Raining Gold at MIA ! Gold Worth Rs 30,91,732 Seized by Customs
- Mangalore: Air Passenger who Smuggled 25 Gold Capsules in Stomach Lands in Hospital!
- Mangalore: Gold Concealed in decorative showpiece Seized at International Airport
- Mangalore: Gold Rush Continues at MIA -821.570 gms Gold worth Rs 24,81,142 Seized in 2 Separate Cases
- Mangalore: Gold Worth Rs 21 Lakh Seized at International Airport
- Mangalore: Gold Worth Rs 12.14 Lakh Seized from Air Passenger from Dubai
- Mangalore: Gold Worth Rs 50 Lakh Seized at Airport – Two Waiting Outside Also Arrested
- Mangalore: ‘Instant’ Idea! Gold Dust Worth Rs 17 Lakh in Coffee Packing Seized at Airport
- Mangalore: Gold Found Concealed in Footwear – Air Passenger Arrested
- Mangalore: Gold Rush Continues at Airport with 3rd Consecutive Day’s Catch
- Mangalore: Another day, Another Haul! Gold Worth Rs 80.50 Lakh Seized from Dubai Passenger
- Mangalore: Catch over Catch! 2.50 Kg Gold Seized at Airport in 2 Cases – 1 Arrested
- Mangalore: Air Passenger’s Insistence on Seat 23C Leads to Detection of Smuggled Gold!
- Mangalore: Gold Worth Rs 5.45 Lakh Seized from Air Passenger from Dammam
- Mangalore: Gold Worth Rs 45.55 Lakh Seized from Air Passenger Arriving from Dubai
- Mangalore: Gold Worth Rs 8 Lakh, Cigarettes Seized at Airport, Passengers Held
- Mangalore: ‘Andar Ki Baat’: Woman Passenger Carrying Gold in Undergarments Caught at Airport
- Mangalore: Man Caught with 580gms Gold Concealed Inside Idiot Box by Airport Officials
- Mangalore: Passenger from Dubai Arrested while Smuggling Gold Worth Rs 3.37 Lakh
- Mangalore: Gold Worth Rs 5 Lakh being Smuggled from Dubai Seized at Airport
- Mangalore: New Mode of Smuggling by Air – Half a Kg of Gold Seized from Dubai Flight
- Mangalore: Quaker ‘Gold’ Oats ? DRI Officials Seize 300 grams of Gold at International Airport
- Mangalore: Customs Officers seize 3 Gold Biscuits Worth Rs 10.85 Lakh -One Arrested