Order on bail plea of Nalapad, 7 others reserved for March 2
The 63rd City Civil and Sessions Court, on Tuesday, concluded the hearing of the bail plea for Mohammed Nalapad Haris, son of MLA N.A. Haris, and seven others. Orders have been reserved for March 2.
Earlier in the day, advocate S. Balan, appearing for the seven accused, submitted that the court should decide the merit of the case based on facts. “The facts in the case have been built on emotion, exaggeration, and media trial. The case was booked under attempt to murder, but the motive, preparation, and execution required for such a crime is missing,” he said.
He added that reports of the victim, Vidvat L., being attacked with knuckle rings is “concocted” as there is no mention of such a weapon either in the complaint, FIR, or in the spot inspection conducted by the police.
The police, during spot inspection, recovered a beer bottle and a few water jugs from the scene of crime, which shows that the attack happened in the “spur of the moment” and there was no motive and intention, Mr. Balan said.
However, Special Public Prosecutor Shyam Sundar countered the arguments stating that the “anarchic act of the accused” itself was the motive for the attack. “The victim, who had a fractured leg, being attacked by a group of 10 to 15 people who beat him almost to death amounts to attempt to murder. Moreover, investigations into the case are going on and some of the accused are still at large. The victim is still recovering and the police have not been able to record his statement.
A case of this sort is an offence against humanity,” Mr. Sundar said. Citing two judgments, including the ‘Nirbhaya’ case, he pleaded that bail should not be granted as it would deprive immediate justice for the victim and people would lose faith in the system.