School of Social Work, Roshni Nilaya to hold ‘Spandana -2019’
Mangaluru: School of Social Work, Roshni Nilaya is organizing Spandana -2019 Responding to Realities, a National Level Student Social Workers’ conference on the theme “Revisiting and Contextualising Social Work Profession in contemporary India on 14th and 15th February 2019.
‘SPANDANA’ is a platform for the convergence of student Social Workers to share thoughts, ideas and knowledge and to work together for serving the society in a better way. The need for a platform for interaction among students was actuated during the year 2002 and the result is “SPANDANA-RESPONDING TO REALITIES”, an annual conference for student social workers. The success of the event has motivated the college and Spandana has become the most awaited annual feature.
The theme, “Revisiting and Contextualising Social Work Profession in contemporary India” is the need of the hour as an effective practice of the profession requires contextualising it as per the changing times. This conference aims to explore some of the existing knowledge and theories of professional social work and how these notions relate to the difficulties encountered in contemporary social work practice. It also deliberates the knowledge framework that is conceptualized in terms of three important features such as theoretical knowledge, factual knowledge (including research) and practical knowledge.
Prof. Y.S Siddegowda Vice Chancellor, Tumkur University will be the Chief Guest for the inaugural function of Spandana -2019 on 14th February 2019, at 10:00 am. Prof. Juliet C J, Principal, School of Social work, Roshni Nilaya, will preside over the inaugural function. The inaugural function will be followed by the Keynote address by Dr. P. Ilango, Dean, Faculty of Arts & Syndicate Member, Bharathidasan University, Tiruchirapalli on the topic ‘upcoming trends in social work’.
The following renowned speakers are lined up to discuss and deliberate on the theme and sub-themes of the conference.
• Dr B Nalini, Asst Professor, Dept of Social Work, Bharathiar University, Coimbatore – Case work – Success stories, problems and conceptual improvement.
• Dr Mouleshri Vyas, Professor, Centre for Community Organization and Development Practice School of Social Work, Tata Institute of Social Sciences, Mumbai – Community Organization Practice.
• Teddy Andrews, Asst. Professor, Social Work Programme, Manipal University – Evidence generation in Social Work Research: Challenges and Opportunities from a Quantitative Perspective.
• Dr John Johnson, Former Associate Dean of Social Work, Marian College, Kerala – Working with Family as a method of Social Work.
• Dr Ashok Antony D’Souza, Professor& chairman, P.G Department of Social Work Rani Channamma University, Vidyasangama, Belagavi – social action in India: Roots, Fruits and shoots.
Students/ Academicians and professionals from different states and international universities will be participating in the conference.
The cultural programmes will be held on 14th February 2019 at 5:00 pm at the college auditorium.
The Valedictory of the meet will be held on 15th February 2019 at 3:30 pm. Dr P Jenis Mary, Vice Principal, School of Social Work, Roshni Nilaya, will preside.
Scientific paper presentations are also scheduled for the participants on the following themes:
• Research focusing on any of the methods of Social Work
• Family-centered Social Work ( Casework/ group work)
• The indigenous perspective of Social Work.
• Innovative pedagogy of learning and development in Social Work.
• The paradox of technology Vs person-centered Education
• Changing social values & Community Interventions
• Sustainable development in the context of Socio-economic fabric of India
• Contemporary perspective in Social Group Work
Prof. Asha Lobo Prof. Juliet C J
Organising Secretary Principal