Mumbai (PTI): Bollywood director Karan Johar has been summoned by city police to record his statement for allegedly passing obscene comments at the controversial AIB Knockout roast comedy show held in December 2014, police said today.
“Karan Johar has been summoned and asked to record his statement in connection with the comments he made during the AIB roast event,” a senior police officer said.
The summons had been issued to Johar three weeks ago, he added. “Karan’s lawyer said the director is out of India for a film shoot and will record his statement once he returns,” the officer said.
An FIR had been registered last year at Tardeo police station in the city against Karan Johar, Arjun Kapoor, Ranveer Singh and others for allegedly using obscene language at the event.
“Besides Karan Johar, actors Ranveer Singh and Arjun Kapoor are also likely to record their statements individually,” the senior police officer said.
‘AIB Knockout’, a roast comedy show, was held at Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel Stadium at Worli in south Mumbai on December 20, 2014. The show was uploaded on Youtube on Janaury 28 and made available in three parts.
The show started off with Karan Johar announcing, “Let the filth begin.” According to police, a complaint had been filed in February last year against Karan, Ranveer and Arjun, along with other performers, who allegedly passed abusive and offensive remarks against one another and even at the audience during the show.
The show was, however, removed a few days later from the website due to the controversy surrounding it.