7th National-level Lagori Championship 2018 to be Held from Jan 6
Lagori, dikori or lagoori, also known as Lingocha, Pithu (Punjabi), Palli Patti (Karimnagar), Pitto (Rajasthan), Pittu (Bengal) or Satoliya (Madhya Pradesh) is a game in India involving a ball and a pile of flat stones, generally played between two teams in a large outdoor area. A member of one team (the seekers) throws a tennis ball at a pile of stones to knock them over. The seekers then try to restore the pile of stones while the opposing team (the hitters) throws the ball at them. If the ball touches a seeker, he is out and his team continues without him. A seeker can always safeguard himself by touching an opposite team member before the ball hits him.
Mangaluru: “When we were small we used to play Lagori using tile pieces but the present generation is not aware of this game. We still recall this game which we have played in our compound with neighbouring children. The rural game Logori has almost vanished. To retain this rural game we thought of coming up with the tournament. So far we have organized the district-level Lagori Tournament and this time we have come up with the “National-level Lagori Championship -2018″, which will be played at the Karavali Utsav Grounds on January 6 and 7”, said the organizer of Lagori Tournament Deepak Gangolli in a press meet held at the Press Club Urwa here on December 13.
Addressing the mediapersons Deepak Gangolli said, “Earlier we used to play with a rubber ball and tile pieces. To give a modern touch we had organized the first ever “Lagori Tulunadu Cup” in July 2017 and 20 teams from Dakshina Kannada had participated in the tournament. After the success of the tournament, the Amateur Lagori” Federation was impressed and agreed with Pathway, the organizer to host the 7th National-level Lagori Championship 2018.”
Deepak further said, “The Pathway team has taken the responsibility to host the 7th National-level Lagori Championship 2018. More than 20 teams will be taking part in the Lagori tournament. When we thought of selecting the brand ambassador for the 7th National-level Lagori Championship 2018, we received many applications from interested candidates. But this time we thought of creating history by choosing a brand ambassador from the most neglected community. We approached Partivarthan Charitable Trust and shared our idea to select a brand ambassador from the trust. The Founder of the trust Violet Pereira wholeheartedly supported us and suggested Sanjana’s name. We have joined hands with Parivarthan Charitable Trust to bring the transgender community to the mainstream”.
Deepak also said, “We have selected Transgender Sanjana as the brand ambassador for the 7th National-level Lagori Championship 2018. We need the support from the public for the success of this tournament. A selection for the Karnataka team will be held at the University College grounds, Mangaluru on December 16 and 17. Those who are interested to take part in the tournament are requested to be present at the University college grounds on December 16 at 10 am.”
Sports Secretary of Pathway Nitesh Kulal, Physical director University College Dayakar, Brand Ambassador of the 7th National-level Lagori Championship 2018 Sanjana and Founder and Managing Trustee of Parivarthan Charitable Trust Violet Pereira were also present.
Also Read Related Articles Below:
- Parivarthan Trust hosts the FIRST Christmas Celebration of the Transgenders Kind!
- Do They Know It’s Christmas? The 1st Christmas Celebration for Transgenders by PC Trust
- A Dream Come True! Transgender Sanjana Chosen ‘Brand Ambassador’ for Nat’l Level Lagori Tourney
- Making History! First of Its Kind ‘Transgender’s Day’ Launched in Mangaluru
- Parivarthan And Sahayog Roshni To Hold Transgender’s Day On March 22
- Transgender Gang Leader Gets Parivarthan Member Assaulted For Not Paying Hafta
- Assault On Transgender – Parivarthan Trust Submits Memorandum
- Parivarthan’s Aadhar Registration Camp For Transgenders A Step In The Right Direction
- Timely Intervention Of Parivarthan Trust Halts Transgenders Clash
- Beneficiaries All Praise For State Government’s Welfare Schemes
- Transgenders Enroll For Higher Studies, Seek Social Support
- MP Nalin Inaugurates Parivarthan- A Ray Of Hope To ‘Change’ Lives Of Transgenders
- ‘Hijra’ Is A Derogatory Term For ‘Transgender’ – Rai
- Naanu Avanalla Avalu – Subhash Becomes Lavanya In Udupi
- Neither Here, Nor There-Pathetic State Of Transgenders