Mangaluru: This has been happening over and over. Yet precautions are not being taken.
After a break of some months since last year, there has been a disturbing kind of rise in the number of chain-snatching incidents in the city and around. Until date, five incidents had already taken place in the city during this month.
Two more cases were reported on Wednesday, Apr 22. Lakshmi, after attending a wedding in Valencia, had boarded a bus and got down at Naguri. As she walked by the road leading from Alape Padil towards the railway station on her way home around 2-30 pm, a young man arrived from the Karkera house direction. He stopped over and asked her for the house of Muttappa Poojary.
Just when she was trying to reply, he bent over and snatched two chains weighing four sovereign valued at Rs 77,000 from her neck. He immediately sped away. As it was a secluded spot, nobody was around to come to her aid. A case has been registered at the rural police station in Maroli.
In the second instance, which happened at a spot with more human movement, Shyamala who was returning home after buying milk lost a valuable chain. She was walking by the side of the first cross at Karangalpady on Wednesday around 3-20 pm, a man arrived in a bike and snatched her gold chain of 4.5 sovereign worth Rs 90,000. He too fled immediately. A case has been registered at the Kadri police station.
When will this end?
There have been repeated media reports and cautions issued. Yet no precautions are being taken. Even taking for granted that all women may not follow web and print media, it is expected that at least the other members of the family keep them informed and warned.
It is not enough if the law-enforcing agencies are blamed. A point raised by a Karangalpady resident appears valid. ‘Does someone have to wear a 4.5 sovereign gold chain while going to buy milk?’ – he asked. The craze for the yellow metal and to show it off seemed to be the main issue here, he added.
(File pic for graphic effect only)
The same story, over and over!
- Mangaluru: Chain-snatching Incidents Continue in City – Woman Loses Gold Worth Rs 4.80 Lakh
- Mangaluru: Two Incidents in City Confirm an Alarming Rise in Chain-snatching Activity
- Mangaluru: Bikers Wanted to Know the Way, but Snatched Woman’s Chain away!
- Moodbidri: Gold Worth Rs 1.50 Lakh Snatched from Woman on Way to Gantalkatte Church
- Mangaluru: Now it’s a Male’s Turn to be Target of Chain-snatching!
- Mangaluru: Woman’s Chain Snatched while Sweeping Yard in Souterpet
- Puttur: Two Incidents of Chain-snatching in a Day – Same Culprits Likely
- Kinnigoli: Woman Loses 32 Gms Piece of Chain to Snatchers near Pakshikere
- Mangalore: Homemaker’s Gold Chain Snatched on Pretext of Asking for Water
- Mangalore: Teacher Waiting for Bus at Bhatrakodi Loses Chain Worth Rs 1.50 Lakh to Snatchers
- Mangalore: Senior Woman’s Gold Chain Snatched from River Bank in Adyar
- Karkala: Woman Loses Chain Worth Rs 1 Lakh to Snatcher in Anekere
- Manipal: Chain Snatched from Woman at Anant Nagar while on Morning Walk
- Bantwal: Woman on Way to Loreto Church Loses 7 Sovereign Gold to Bike-riding Snatchers
- Sullia: Chain Snatched from Lonely Woman by Young Man Riding Bike at Adkar
- Mangalore: Chain-snatchers Continue to Rule – Pedestrian Woman of 84 Loses Gold
- Mangalore: Teacher Waiting for Bus in Pandeshwar Loses Chain to Snatchers
- Mangalore: Chain of Gold-snatching Incidents Appears Never-ending!
- Mangalore: Chain-snatchers Strike again – Woman Loses Gold at Mathadakani
- Mangalore: Woman’s Gold Chain Snatched by Bikers in Vas Lane
- Moodbidri: Another Incident of Chain-snatching in Broad Daylight
- Udupi: Woman from Pernal Loses Rs 1.5 Lakh Gold Chains to Snatchers
- Kundapur: Bike-riding Duo Snatches Gold Chain from Woman
- Mangalore: Woman’s Chain
Snatched while Walking in Suvarna Lane
- Mangalore: Chain-snatching
Incident in Valencia – Value Rs 1.30 Lakh
- Mangalore: More Chain-
snatching Incidents in City
- Mangalore: ‘Chain’ of Gold-snatching Cases at Secluded Places Continues
- Udupi: Gold Chains Worth Rs 1.4 Lakh Snatched from Woman
- Udupi: Chain-snatcher with Past Record Nabbed by Hebri Police
- Udupi: Man Involved in Kadabettu Chain-snatching
Arrested at Shirva
- Udupi: Cash and Ornaments Snatched from Woman’s Vanity Bag
- Udupi: Chain-snatcher Caught by Public at Volakkad
- Mangalore: Chain-snatcher Caught on Spot by Public
- Mangalore: Chain-snatcher Duo Arrested during Vehicle Check