Solar power kills a man in Jebel Ali
Dubai: Police are urging companies selling solar-powered electricity generators to warn buyers about the dangers of improper use of these equipment after a man was electrocuted inside his caravan.
Officers were alerted about a man who was killed in Jebel Ali area and forensic reports revealed that he was fixing the air-conditioner and accidentally touched the solar cells.
Major-General Khalil Ebrahim Al Mansouri, Assistant Commander-in-Chief for Criminal Investigation Affairs of Dubai Police, said that it is the first death linked to solar cells in Dubai on record.
“Companies who are selling solar-powered generators should train customers about the safe use of those generators as it is dangerous to use it without knowing the precautionary procedures. Customers shouldn’t touch the exposed parts of the cells and generators. The death of the man was the first incident recorded by police,” Maj-Gen Al Mansouri said.
He added that people don’t know that the solar-powered generators can be deadly because they falsely believe it is a clean energy.
Colonel Ahmad Hameed Al Merri, director of the Crime Scene Department at Dubai Police, said they went to a compound of caravans located on the beach in Jebel Ali area and saw the Asian victim on the ground with his hand trapped between the solar cells.
“The deceased was the caravan’s owner and he installed a solar-powered generator in the caravan for air-conditioner and a freezer. Our investigation showed that he was trying to fix the air-conditioner connected to the solar cells when he was electrocuted,” Col Al Merri said.
The accident happened because he didn’t switch off the main electricity switch and put his hand between two cells.
“The forensic report confirmed our theory and stated that he died of electric shock and there were burn marks on his body and hand.”