Udupi: A fire broke out at the Vinayaka Jewellery Shop, destroying jewellery worth lakhs at Gudmi Haddinabettu near NH 66 late night on February 6.
The fire was noticed by a passersby, who alerted the owner of the building. He immediately informed the fire control room and also the shop owner Nagaraj Acharya. Fire tenders rushed to the spot and extinguished the fire. Fire and Emergency Services officials suspect that the fire could have been caused due to an electrical short circuit.
Shop owner Nagaraj Acharaya said that 3 gold and silver items, rupees 60000 in cash, and furniture worth around Rs 25 lakh were gutted in the fire.
Kota SI K R Nayak and other police officials visited the spot and have registered a case.