HWL Final: Australia shake off Dutch 3-2 to enter final

Raipur, Dec 4 (IANS) World champions Australia held off a strong challenge from the Netherlands 3-2 in the first semi-final of the Hockey World League (HWL) Final at the Sardar Vallabh Bhai Patel International Stadium here on Friday.

Dylan Wotherspoon (eighth minute) and Daniel Beale (22nd) made it 2-0 before the defending champions equalised with goals from Constantin Jonker (29th) and Mirco Pruijser (33rd). Matt Gohdes scored the winner in the 42nd minute.

In the final, Australia await the winner of the second semi-final between hosts India and Belgium to be played on Saturday.

If not for the stupendous performances from the goalkeepers of both the teams — Australia’s Andrew Charter and the Netherlands’ Jaap Stockmaan — the scoreline would have been much bigger. Charter held fort, denying the Netherlands to convert penalty corner chances in the third quarter, while Stockmaan thwarted several Australian raids.

Australia put up a dominant show in the first 30 minutes. Wotherspoon tapped in for the first goal after being set up by Jamie Dwyer from the top of the circle in the first half.

The world No.1 side was on the rampage in the second quarter too with Dwyer missing two clear opportunities in as many minutes. The 36-year-old, playing in his 350th match for his country, failed to trap a Kieran Govers pass from the left post and later let it go with a soft deflection, with only Stockmaan to beat, off an Eddie Ockenden pass.

However, they didn’t have to wait as Hayward’s flick was blocked before Dwyer’s deflection was quelled but Beale put it home for the 2-0 lead in the 22nd minute.

Amid all this, the Dutch relied on counter-attacks. Niet van der Schoot’s cross from the right was not properly received by Thierry Brinkman as the Australian stood firm.

The Netherlands bounced back as Seve van Ass made a solo run up from the left before passing it to Billy Bakker, who fed Constantin Jonker lurking in front of the goal. Jonker made a body rotation before finding the back of the net just before the close of second quarter.

After the break, the Dutch continued with the momentum and found their equaliser when Mink van der Weerden controlled an aerial ball from captain Robert van der Horst before passing it to Jeroen Hertzberger. The Dutch forward employed a back-hand strike that found a deflection from Pruijser.

However, Australia again got ahead with another deflection goal from Matt Gohdes, who made use of a direct shot at the goal from Tim Deavin 30 yards away.

The momentum swung the opposite way quickly but the Netherlands’ drag-flickers were only to be blamed. Van der Weerden failed to make most of as many as three penalty corners in the dead end of the third quarter.

In the fourth quarter, the Netherlands tried their best but failed to find the equaliser as they lost 2-3.

Leave a Reply

Please enter your comment!

The opinions, views, and thoughts expressed by the readers and those providing comments are theirs alone and do not reflect the opinions of www.mangalorean.com or any employee thereof. www.mangalorean.com is not responsible for the accuracy of any of the information supplied by the readers. Responsibility for the content of comments belongs to the commenter alone.  

We request the readers to refrain from posting defamatory, inflammatory comments and not indulge in personal attacks. However, it is obligatory on the part of www.mangalorean.com to provide the IP address and other details of senders of such comments to the concerned authorities upon their request.

Hence we request all our readers to help us to delete comments that do not follow these guidelines by informing us at  info@mangalorean.com. Lets work together to keep the comments clean and worthful, thereby make a difference in the community.

Please enter your name here