Mangaluru: What used to happen in uptown areas in the city or suburbs was reported from the heart of the city – Hampankatta – on Monday.
Komala and Vivekanandan couple had arrived from Kerala in the early hours by train and had walked up to Hampankatta.
Around 4-30 am, as they were waiting for a bus at the signal circle, a young man wearing a black shirt and with a towel covering his face arrived from K S Rao Road direction and suddenly snatched a gold chain from Komala’s neclk.
After doing so, he ran towards the old bus stand and escaped with another man who had a getaway bike ready, with its engine running.
Vivekanandan is said to have tried to chase him in an autorickshaw but it was too late to track them down.
The value of the lost chain is said to be Rs 1.50 lakh. A complaint has been filed at the Bunder police station.
It is quite sad that the name of the city is getting spoiled this way and outsiders would hesitate to visit Mangaluru in future, said a few among those who gathered after the incident.
Never-ending ‘chain’ of incidents:
- Mangaluru: Chain-snatching Incident Reported from Suburban Thokur
- Mangaluru: Same Old Story! Woman’s Rs 42,000-worth Gold ChainSnatched by Bike-riders
- Kundapur: Daylight Chain-snatching in Tallur and Bhatkal – Handiwork of Same Bikers?
- Mangaluru: Woman Loses 6-and-a-half Sovereign Chain to Snatcher on Vithoba Road
- Mangaluru: Asking for Drinking Water, Stranger Snatches Senior Woman’s Gold Chain
- Mangaluru: Pandeshwar Police Arrest Chain Snatcher Edwin Dinesh
- Bantwal: Bike-riders Snatch Chain from Woman, Only to Find it to be an Imitation Piece!
- Mangaluru: Shiva Bagh a Favourite Target for Chain-snatchers? Another Incident Proves So…
- Mangaluru: Chain of Gold-snatching Cases Continues – Another Instance in Shiva Bagh
- Mangaluru: Two More Chain-snatching Cases – When will Women Learn a Valuable Lesson?
- Mangaluru: Chain-snatching
Incidents Continue in City – Woman Loses Gold Worth Rs 4.80 Lakh
- Mangaluru: Two Incidents in City Confirm an Alarming Rise in Chain-snatching Activity
- Mangaluru: Bikers Wanted to Know the Way, but Snatched Woman’s Chain away!