Friends, I was working in Bangalore from 1980 – 1985. Of all the Restaurants, I found two places that serve fantastic Masala Dosas! One is Udupi Krishna Bhavan in Balepet and another is Vidyarthi Bhavan in Gandhi Bazaar.
After I got married in 1988, I was always describing to my wife Meena, about those dosas perfectly crafted by expert hands to our heart’s content! Couple of times, she got to taste those dosas at Balepet Krishna Bhavan!
Over the years, Meena experimented with Masala Dosas and one day, she made exacly the same Masala Dosa that I had eaten in Balepet Krishna Bhavan! ‘Special Butter Masala Dosa’ I named it, for we still respect the cook of Balepet Krishna Bhavan for the excellence in crafting those amazing crepes!
Of course, we have reduced the use of oil considerably. Hence the necessity of non-stick tawa/griddle.
The procedure may seem elaborate, but I guarantee that the end product is simply superb!
Here’s what Meena has to offer to all you good Mangaloreans!
Special Butter Masala Dosa:
A) Dosa Ingredients:
1. Raw Rice – 4 cups
2. Urad Dal – 1 1/2 cup
3. Channa Dal – 1/4 cup
4. Toor Dal – 1/4 cup
5. Frenugreek Seeds(Methi) – 2 tsp.
6. Phova(Beaten Rice) – 1 fistful
7. Sugar – 2 tsp
8. Salt – To taste
1. Soak ingredients 1 to 5 for at least 4 hrs.
2. Wash phova and grind along with soaked ingredients to a thick dosa batter, slightly thinner than Idli batter.
3. Allow to ferment at room temperature(30 Degree C) for 8-12 hrs.
4. Add sugar and salt to taste. Mix well and allow to stand for 15 mins.
B) Potato Bhaji Ingredients:
1. Potatoes – 250 Gms, boiled, peeled and smashed(Not mashed)
2. Onions – 250 Gms thinly sliced
3. Green Chillies – 2-4(Check whether too hot!) sliced
4. Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
5. Urad Dal – 1 Tsp
6. Curry Leaves – 1 sprig
7. Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
8. Refined Vegetable oil – 2 tsp
9. Salt – To taste
1. Heat oil in a thick deep frying pan. Prepare seasoning with mustard seeds, urad dal, curry leaves and sliced green chillies. Add Turmeric powder and fry.
2. Add onion slices and fry till transparent. Add salt to taste and potato smash. Mix well and allow to settle for at least 15 mins off heat.
C) Red Chutney Ingredients:
1. Long red chillies – 10
2. Tamarind – cherry size ball
3. Roasted Channa Dal(Huri Kaadle/Putaani) – A Fistful
4. Onion – 1 medium chopped
5. Garlic – 4 flakes
6. Salt – To taste
7. Refined oil – QS
1. Roast dry long chillies on a hot tawa/griddle with little oil.
2. Grind the chillies along with other ingredients(Except oil) to a smooth thick paste using little water.
D) Coconut Chutney Ingredients:
1. Grated fresh/dessicated coconut – 1/2 medium sized/2 cups
2. Tamarind – Cherry size ball
3. Green Chillies – 2 (Check whether too hot!)
4. Salt – To taste
5. Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
6. Curry leaves – 4-5
7. Refined Vegetable oil – QS
8. Water – QS
1. Grind ingredients 1-3 with little water till smooth. Add salt to taste.
2. Season with mustard seeds and curry leaves using little oil. Allow to cool and add to the chutney.
Masala Dosa Ingredients:
1. Dosa Batter
2. Potato Bhaji
3. Red Chutney
4. Fresh unsalted Butter
5. Refined vegetable oil
1. Heat a non stck thick flat bottomed tawa/griddle on medium flame.
2. Sprinkle little water to check the heat.
3. Pour the dosa batter using a round cup like ladle and spread the batter thin and evenly.
4. Allow the dosa to turn dry on the top and reddish at the bottom.
5. Pour two tsp oil over the dosa.
6. Smear the dosa with 1 tsp or more red chutney, place a fistful of Potato bhaji and a knob of butter.
7. When the dosa is just crisp and dry, fold it into half moon fold and serve with coconut chutney and sambhar(Optional).
My sincere thanks to Prakash Kamath for lending his Camera.
Author: Rajanikanth Shenoy- Kudpi