Build Garment Factories, Provide Job to Beedi Workers – MLC Ivan

Spread the love

Mangaluru: MLC Ivan D’Souza held a press meet at the District Congress Office here, on April 27.

Addressing the mediapersons, Ivan said, “93% of the workers in India are unorganized and the nation’s Industrial Acts only protect rights of the remaining 7% organized workers. The Central Government should take suitable steps to protect the rights of unorganized workers and form Industrial Acts to benefit all States.”


image001mlc-ivan-pressmeet-20160427-001 image002mlc-ivan-pressmeet-20160427-002 image003mlc-ivan-pressmeet-20160427-003

“All the schemes implemented by the Central Government are limited to workers between the age group of 18 to 40. What about those who are above the age of 40? I urge the government to reconsider this age bar and increase it to 50-55 years,” he said.

“The drivers of goods vehicles, bus drivers, conductors and auto rickshaw drivers can enroll for a life insurance cover of Rs 2 lakh on one time premium of Rs 25 only. But according to statistics, only 4 % of them have enrolled themselves in this scheme. This is due to the lethargic behaviour of the respective government departments. The government should ensure that the scheme are implemented so that the workers benefit at large,” Ivan said.

Speaking about the shut down of the Beedi industry, Ivan said, “There are 4 lakh Beedi workers in Dakshina Kannada alone. With the Beedi factories shutting their shops, the Beedi workers of Dakshina Kannada and Udupi have no other means to generate income. Before all the Beedi factories succumb to the laws the government should take steps to provide employment to these workers.”

He said, “In all the Taluks of Dakshina Kannada and Udupi, the government should build garment factories under the Public and Private Partnership (PPP) model. Each factory can provide employment to 4000 to 5000 workers. These factories can provide employment to the displaced Beedi workers.”

Speaking about May day or workers day, Ivan said, “The Dakshina Kannada workers division will celebrate workers day at the Ravindra Kalabhavana, UCM on May 1 at 10 AM. District Minister In-charge, B Ramanath Rai will inaugurate this programme. Health Minister, UT Khader, Fisheries Minister Abhaychandra Jain, MUDA Chairman, Ibrahim Kodijal will be present at the programme. Heads of various organizations, rickshaw drivers, bus drivers, Beedi workers, commission agent workers, construction workers and others will participate in this programme. Felicitation of senior workers will be held on this occasion.”

MUDA Chairman, Ibrahim Kodijal and others were also present.

Spread the love

1 Comment

Comments are closed.