Dr B. M. Hegde – Mangalorean Star
I have known Dr B. M. Hegde for almost 30 years now and when I spoke to him recently in Manglaore, it was like I was his student again. My first meeting with Dr. Hegde was at Govt. Wenlock Hospital as a student and I was so impressed with his teaching techniques, I thought becoming a doctor was a piece of cake!
Any Mangalorean who has come in contact with Dr. Hegde will know that he speaks very fluent Konkani and as a matter of fact, all my conversation with him was in Konkani! He is ever willing to lend a helping hand and I admire him for everything he has done not just to Mangalore but Internationally in the field of Medicine. I confess that when I spoke to him, I wanted to be his student again.
For the thousands of patients, over the years, he embodies hope. Allaying fears, giving succor, soothing tensions he is to them the doctor with his hand on the pulse of the common man. Talking their language (he speaks about seven) identifying with their woes, relating to their despairhe heals them, combining his wealth of specialized knowledge in cardiology with compassion and clarity. His healthy respect for the native and complementary systems of medicine inspires in the illiterate and ill a hope of better tidings.
Teaching is in his blood. He started teaching at a very young age and is teaching even today, when he finds time. Prof Hegde has been teaching all over the world and has requests pouring in from different quarters. The best teacher awards that he obtained many times speak for themselves. He is acclaimed to be a good communicator and has bagged the Best Communicator Award from the local chapter of the Public Relations Society of India. He attracts students for electives from many countries. His disdain against the hi-tech stuff for diagnosis when the time tested bedside methods and common sense alone would suffice, have molded hundreds of future doctors.
Many a time his methods were considered unconventional but, the thousands of students who have graduated from there stand testimony to the fact that his methods did pay rich dividends. He is on the Governing bodies of many prestigious institutions in India and abroad, contributing his might to uphold the highest ethical and professional standards through them. A Visiting Professor in almost all countries except the South American continent, he also has been considered a considerate and competent examiner for graduate and postgraduate students. He has guided many students for their doctoral thesis in many Universities, in addition to being the Ph.D. examiner in some of those Universities.
Prof Hedge regularly communicates with people through AIR, Doordarshan, BBC and Zee TV, London. His regular column “Doctor Speaks” in the Bhavan’s journal is very much appreciated.
Eventhough he has visited several countries and studied abroad, his home has always been Mangalore. His vision has always been to set up an educational system in South Kanara that will set an example to others. This relentless pursuit from the time he joined KMC as a tutor, saw him become Vice Chancellor of Mangalore University. Many will agree that he played a key role in establishing this University in Mangalore.
Dr. Hegde was born on August 18, 1938, in Pangala near Udupi. He is an avid writer and orator par excellence.
Dr. B. M. Hegde’s message to Mangalorean.com readers:
“When Dr. Mallya spoke to me and asked me If he could make me a Mangalorean Star…my first reaction was, Hey Deva! (Oh God!) What better compliment can I ask for than my own student complimenting me!
We Mangaloreans are hardy people, we will succeed no matter where we go but we have to work at it. There is no shortcut to fame. I wish Mangalorean.com and its readers Happy New year and May God Bless you all.”
• FAMS – National Academy of Medical Sciences, New Delhi – 2002
• FRCPI – Royal College of Physicians, Dublin.(Honorary Fellowship Conferred for Distinction) – 1999
• FRCPE – Royal College of Physicians , Edinburgh – 1986
• FRCPG – Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons, Glasgow – 1985
• FACC – American College of Cardiology, Bethesda Md. – 1984
• FRCP – Royal College of Physicians, London – 1981
• MRCP – Royal Colleges of Physicians, UK – 1969
• MD – King George’s Medical College, University of Lucknow – 1962-64
• MBBS – Stanley Medical College, Madras University – 1956-60
• Intermediate – MGM College, Udupi – 1956
• SSLC – Board High School , Hiriadka – 1954
• Pride of India Award from Federation of Indian Associations of Northern California in recognition of Developing and implementing higher educational policies and programs, outstanding community service and promoting Indian culture, Heritage, philosophy and values issued on August 17, 2003.
• Dr B C Roy National Award for the year 1999 in the category of “Eminent Medical Teacher”
• Jagdish Chander Bose Award in Life Sciences for the year 1999 .
• Distinguished Physician of India Award 1995.
• Great Teacher Award in 1992
• Gandhi Foundation Gujarat , “Paper of the year award” for the paper published in the Proc.Roy. College, Edinburgh on Coronary artery revascularisation.
• Gold Medal Madras University for MBBS.
• Best Oration Award, Tamilnadu State IMA conference, Trichy 1995.
• Special prize in Surgery in MBBS.
• Best Communicator Award by Public Relation Society of India in 1997.
• Dr. Deepak Banerjee Award for the ” Best Published Paper in 1995″.
• Research Referee ship award of the Faculty of Medicine, Kuwait University.
• Karnataka Rajyothsava Award in 1997
• National Award for Excellence for 2000 by the All India Kannada Sahitya Parishat
• Baliyendra Puraskar for the year 2001 on 25th November, 2001 at Bangalore
• Presidentship, All India Kannada Meet 2003, New Delhi.
• Stanley Alumni Award – 2003, Chennai
• Government of India Scholarship for MD Course
• Heart and Chest Association of United Kingdom fellowship for training at Brampton Hospital, London.
• Commonwealth Fellowship in Cardiology – TWICE – for Cardiology training at the Middlesex Hospital and National Heart Hospital, London .
Medical Training Obtained:
• Stanley Hospital, Madras
• King George’s Hospital, Lucknow under Prof SS Misra.
• St Helen’s Hospital, Ipswich, England ,under Drs M Barry and CJ Stewart.
• Clare Hall Hospital, Barnet, London , under Drs Malcolm Towers and Watkin Edwards.
• Brompton Hospital, London under Dr R Gibson.
• The Middlesex Hospital, London, under Drs Walter Somerville and Richard Emanuel.
• National Heart Hospital , London, under Dr Richard Emanuel.
• Peter Brent Brigham Hospital and Harvard Medical School under Nobel Laureate Professor Bernard Lown.
• Vice Chancellor – Manipal Academy of Higher Education, Deemed University, from 18th June 1999 to 30th August 2003
• Pro Vice Chancellor – Manipal Academy of Higher Education, Deemed University, from 2nd January 1998
• Dean – Kasturba Medical College, Mangalore, from 13th July 1992
• Principal – Kasturba Medical College, Mangalore, since 1st August 1990
• Director of PG studies, Professor & Head of the Dept. of Medicine, Kasturba Medical College, Mangalore
• Professor of Clinical Medicine – Kasturba Medical College, Mangalore, since 26th December 1973
• Associate Professor – Kasturba Medical College, Mangalore, since 1st September 1969
• Reader in Medicine – Kasturba Medical College, Mangalore, on 14th July 1964
• Tutor in Physiology and Asst. Physician – Kasturba Medical College and Hospital, Manipal, on 29th February 1962
• Hon. Professor of Medicine and Allied Sciences – IMA College of GPs, New Delhi, 5 years from 1984-89
• Continues to work as examiner for MRCP (UK), since 1988. Seems to be rare for Indians to attain that eminence.
• Fellow of Royal Colleges of Physicians. Probably the only Indian to become the fellow of all the Royal Colleges of Physicians of the British Isles , including Ireland
• Had a stint at Harvard as a trainee under Noble Laureate, Prof. Bernard Lown.
• Visited almost all the countries, except South America , in the world as visiting professor, examiner, distinguished doctor and academician: guided number of students from many universities for their doctoral thesis, including Ph.D.
• Visiting Professor of Cardiology in the London University since 1982.
• Appointed Affiliate Professor of Human Health, College of Human Health Sciences, University of Northern Colorado
• Elected Fellow, National Academy of Medical Sciences, New Delhi , 2002.
• Elected Fellow, New York Academy of Science in 1986.
Books and Publications:
Published more than 30 books and innumerable articles, both in English and Kannada. Research papers in English periodicals published from UK, USA, Germany, India,China and Kuwait: highlighting various aspects of health – both for the benefit common people and experts.His writings have been praised from among others by Tony Blair, Prime Minister of United Kingdom, …
• Helped in establishing an Ayurvedic College affiliated to Thames Valley University, London. A group has come forward to provide four-acre land to open a similar institute in Japan
• Has taken up innovative holistic development works in a few villages in and around Manipal, with the co-operation of philanthropists and MAHE
• Associated with AMDA, as International Advisor, doing yeomen service all over the globe. The Okayama , Japan, based disaster management group did a tremendous job in Orissa, when it was worst affected by cyclone. MAHE doctors team too joined them. AMDA was short listed for Nobel Peace Prize in 2001
• On the Governing bodies of many prestigious Institutions in India
• Research Referee for Kuwait University
We wish Dr B. M. Hegde all the very best in his life.
We are going to Conduct a Seminar in Bangalore and The main speaker will be Dr. B M Hegde
Date: 19th July 2015
venue: Manpho Convention Centre
For tickets and Details please call @ 8880336633
Hello sir, I am really impressed with ur speech which I have seen on you tube, so I wanted to have some help from u regarding my moms health prob (heart prob), so can I pls get your cont no. Or e mail id, so that I can share my prob.
I will b really greatful to u for the same
My e mail id, palrecharakesh@gmail. Com
K.Radha Madhavi, India:
sir i heard your speech on you tube . it is really impressive and an eye opener . sir can you please give me your e mail id to get some clarifications and suggestions regarding my mothers health who is a sugar patient.would be really thankful if i get a chance to communicate to you.
my id is email@example.com
MAHIPATI MUJUMDAR, India:
I could hear the talk of Dr. Hegde given at Nagpur, On you tube and I was very much impressed. I started ‘Shivambu” (Self urine) therapy since last week. I want more guidance from Dr. Hegde to improve my health for painless and peaceful life hereafter. I am 56 years of age.
Hope to meet him or go through his books or talks in future.
All my good wishes to him and to his noble mission
Bhavani Raji Bai, India:
Thanks a lot for your messages on natural living and many daring true facts about modern medicine which has opened my eyes and I have given up all the medicines since I first listened to you on youtube. Thanks a lot. Please can I get the list of books authored by respected sir.
dr.H.Nagaraj Shimoga. Karnataka India, India:
Please give the list of books he has authored
R Krishnamurthy, India:
I had the opportunity to hear his talk / address yesterday at Bangalore- “Symposium on Adolescent Health” organised by Dr Omkar.
We are very fortunate to have such exceptional people in our Country. Such people must make their presence on a regular basis and share the rich thoughts / Views on TV Media…like NDTV / NEWS X. Even if a small section of Youngsters understand a portion of what he talks and are inspired to have a fresh look at the Holostic Approach for Health …that is something Great that can happen to our country men. The earlier the better. I sincerely feel a continuous slots (like what Amir Khan has done)of minimum 30 minutes and about 6 to 10 sessoins will be of great benefit to our countrymen. The theme can be related to ” How people Health can be Better” OR ” Medicenes is not just one aspect for Cure..there are many other aspects which contribute for Health of not only Normal People but even for the sick or chronmically ill”. Dr BM Hegde ows this to our country…to cleanse the wrong or ill effects or to give succor to the suffering lot
CAn I be fortunate to hear from you on this
Dr.M V Rabindranath Bsc, MD, India:
Hope u remember our interaction at VHS, Chennai regarding our R&D and Village adaptation activities of World Community Service Centre. Kindly give your mobile number and E-mail ID.
Dr.M V Rabindranath Bsc, MD,
Really great to read about you. Please share your email id and contact details to my mail id firstname.lastname@example.org
dr. Shantilal vora, India:
sir, I would like to get more information about the device that re-establishes circulation. contact no. of dr. b.m. hegde.
my email id :- email@example.com
contact. no. 09869274055
country : india,mumbai
Tomy George Mangalore, India:
Very learned and nice physician,
Very impressive. I would like to know the contact details for a consultation.
kUPPUSWAMY R, India:
This article is wounderful. Pl let me know any kannada speeches are there in you tube
kindly forward the same.
aruna rodrigues, India:
May I please have contact details fr Dr Hegde
I am highly impressed with Dr. BM Hegde’s lectures & his self healing methods for curing diseases. I would like to meet & talk to him next time when I visit India. I request for his email ID.
It is a wonderful article on Dr.B.M.Hegde and his achievements and distinctions.
To know more about Dr.B.M.Hegde click here
Aristides Alvares, India:
MY SALAAMS TO YOU FOR YOUR WORK AND MAKING THINGS SO SIMPLE TO UNDERSTAND. I HAVE LISTENED TO YOUR LECTURES AND THEY MAKE LOT OF SENSE. HOLISTIC HEALING IS THE BEST MEDICINE.
Lokesh Roy, India:
After viewing Dr. Hegde in youtube I feel I must meet him once. I am very much interested in holistic healing. I shall be grateful to have some hints as to how I can contact him. my email- firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dr Ranjan Adur, UK:
Having worked in England for over 36 years as a Doctor of medicine and having my roots in Mangalore I feel privileged to read about Dr B N Hegde. I wish I can meet the great man in person when I visit India next time.
I wish him well and a long, happy and healthy life.
Kodavanti Subrahmanyam, India:
RECENTLY I HAD AN OPPORTUNITY TO VIEW HIS LECTURE IN YOUTUBE. A VERY NICE PRESENTATION. I AM REALLY VERY HAPPY TO SEE THE VIDEO, WHEREIN THE CONSCIOUSNESS IS INTERPRETED IN AN EXTRAORDINARY WAY. OUR ANCIENT RISHIS USED TO EXPERIENCE THE SUPER CONSCIOUSNESS. FOR THEM THAT IS GOD.
May his tribe increase
With warm regards,
Jagadeesh Bharadwaj and family
Dr. B.M. Nagabhushana Vice President of LSIKC Professor in Chemistry M.S. Ramaiah Institute of Technology M.S.R.I.T-Post Bangalore-560054 M: +91-9916030272 E-mail-
May I get his e-mail ID or Personal Contact number because we are conducting a program on Food ADULTERATION DURING FEBRUARY-2013
I have known Dr Hegde for many years when i was working as a radiographer at Mangalore a excellent human gbeing
Dr Kusuma Kumari |G nellore, India:
Dr Hegde is the man who can change the current practcie of business minded medicine into more ethical minded medicine
Dr kanagalingam, Malaysia:
Dear Prof Dr Hedge I am very proud in being your student at KMC I graduated in 1975. You deserve Sir all the awards acolades that you have recieved. I still remember your lectures that all diagnosis should be made at the bedside with a good history. Sir I would like to wish you all the best. I hope you will send me your email to keep in touch with you.
My email email@example.com. may God bless you sir
Ashwathy and Thomas, India:
We dont know if Dr. B.M. Hegde is right about energy medicine, but we think that his views as expressed in the articles in The Hindu newspapers are more close to truth than the prevailing mainstream views. we dont want ourselves or our loved ones anywhere near the modern hospitals or doctors. We know from our experiences and insight that the present medical system is unsustainable and unnatural. We are searching for scientific alternatives. Thanks to Dr. Hegde for introducing us to a new perspective.
Great article, thank you again for wriitng.
Sir, I am very thankful to U that U give me the chance to talk with U.
U are wounderful human beeing on the world.
I would like to send my daughter’s helth problem with U.
so please give U’r address.
MY PHONE NO IS (080)23481342
I AGREE THAT DR.B.M.HEGDE IS A WONDERFUL TEACHER. IT IS REALLY SAD THAT, SUCH A RARE GENIUS IS FASCINATED BY FANTASIES LIKE ENERGY MEDICINE, AND DOING IMAGINATIVE RESEARCHES AND TRYING TO PROVE UNSCIENTIFIC AND MEDICALLY UNETHIC BELIEFS.”
Dr.Vivek Tadwalkar, Sr.Physician, Aurangabad, India:
I’m biggest fan of Dr.Hegde. I know him since more than 15 years,when I first invited him to deliberate at Conference. I am immensely motivated by his knowledge & approach to medical ailments. His lectures are not just didactic; but he explores the crux of the prevailing ‘modern’ medical trends, while giving the real take-home message in his own hilarious way. Qualities of being humane & hearty for a doctor are being increasingly rarer these days. ” Art In The Science Of Medicine”, “Uncritical Critical Care” etc are a few of his most wonderful deliberations!
I am proud to be closely known to him & being blessed by him. The medical fraternity is proud of him.
I pray for a his long, healthy life; guiding us to serve the mankind.
Shantaram S. Shetty, India:
Dear Dr./Prof. BM Hegde
I read your write-up on Reach the un-reached and highly influenced by your suggestives. I too feel they are the ones who truely/really justify basic philosophical needs of bretheren, but without expressive words.
May God bestow you many more awarness advising days. Very much influenced by the very idea.
Thanks & Regards,
Dr Vinod Marathe. Pune Ahmednagar, Maharashtra, India:
I am a Fan of Dr Hegade B M, since I read is article in Ruby Pulse. Pune. This Motivated me in totality & We worked towards Indian Systems of Medicine in Management of CVD (IHD,STROKE) with excellent results in shortest time span both in acute cases & Conservative managements. CREDIT Goes to him & his way of putting the things to Medical Faculty. He is a guiding star in present hi-tech setups. I pray him healthy long life. E-Mail. firstname.lastname@example.org
DILEEP KUMAR, India:
i am biggest fan of this cardiologist with heart. thank you for this wonderful article.
he is not only proud of konkani people but of whole india.
I am extremely happy to see the article and acheivement of Dr. Pro.B.M.Hegde. The article enlightens everyone especially his students. I have been seeing his photos and knowing about his greatness frequently in newspapers.
I am very proud to say that I was his undergraduate student in mangalore during 1965 to 1968. He was an Assistant professor under Pro.Dr.K.P.ganesan. I still remembers his class lectures on Lung abscess and Bronchiectasis. He took classes very authentically and crisply in Hampankatta lecture hall.
At present I am working as Professor of Ophthalmology, after retiring from Tamil Nadu Medical service, in Vinayaka Mission Medical college, karaikal.
I wish and pray for him and his family a long and healthy life.
It is a woderful article on Dr.B.M.Hegde and his acievements and distinctions.
I know Dr.Hegde for several years.
I would like to send an E.mail to him. May I request you to e.mail me his e.mail ID?
My E.Mail ID is email@example.com
With best wishes
WITH REF TO UR ARTICLE IN THE DECCAN CHRONICLE DT 27-1-09, DEVICE TO UNBLOCK ARTERIES SANS SURGERY. CAN U PLEASE SUGGEST WHERE AND HOW TO GET THE TREATMENT DONE AND WHOM TO CONTACT THEIR PHONE NUMBERS ADDRESS ETC. IT WILL OF GREAT HELP TO ME AND OTHERS AND THE WHOLE MANKIND –
THANK U SIR
PLOT NO; 28,SANCHARPURI COLONY,PHASE 1,
R.P. ANANDA ALWAR, India:
I am really impressed with Dr. B.M. HEGDE about an artcle on use coconut Oil in our daily life. His lectures in DD Chandana as part of MARGADARSHANA add voluminous information and guidance to human life. He is a great philosopher and scientist, who can be a role model to the upcoming youngsters.
lingaraj h c, Haiti:
“Ifeel proud that i too was his student among lakh working across the continent my heartiest saluteto beloved teacher & wish to get oppurtunity to hear his voice again & again”
Dr BRS HEGDE MBBS, MRNZCGP, FRNZCGP, New Zealand:
I was thrilled to read the outstanding achievements of Dr Hegde in the field of Medicine and magnificient contribution to the community in the form of medical service and social service.
Dr BRS Hegde
63A, Laings Road
Lower Hutt 5010
Wellington New Zeland