Ganapathi’s son files complaint…

Spread the love

Ganapathi’s son files complaint in court against George, 2 IPS officers

Madikeri, DHNS: With the police refusing to register an FIR in connection with the suicide of DySP M K Ganapathi, his son filed a private complaint in the Additional Civil Court here on Monday naming Bengaluru Development Minister K J George as the first accused.

Ganapathi’s elder son Nehal submitted the complaint through his advocate Amrith Somaiah, to the judge Ramesh Babu. While George as been named the first accused, IGP (Lokayukta) Pronab Mohanty and ADGP (Intelligence) A M Prasad have been named the second and third accused respectively in the complaint.

The complainant has prayed the court to direct the police to register a criminal case against the three based on Ganapathi’s statement before his suicide. Nehal said no FIR was registered at the Kushalnagar Rural police station even after filing a complaint and prayed to the court to provide justice to the family.

Meanwhile, Ganapathi’s brother M K Machaiah suspected that his sibling could have been murdered. Speaking to reporters outside the court premises, Machaiah said: “There is a possibility of Ganapathi’s having been shot at, by removing the grills of the window, with his service revolver. He was facing threats to his life. I had been to the Kushalnagar police station to file a complaint, suspecting murder. The police should probe the case from this angle too,” he said.

Wife’s contention

Ganapathi’s wife Pavana on Monday claimed that the police did not document her statements in the complaint though she was was present at the hospital on July 8 when the post mortem was conducted.

“The CID officials who visited our house on July 9 clarified that the complaint does not include my statements. This shows that an attempt is being made to hide the truth,”she said.

Stating that her husband was an honest officer, Pavana said what all Ganapathi had said before committing suicide was true. “Ganapathi was under pressure. The harassment increased after the church attacks. Even after he was promoted, he was not given a posting for several months. He got a posting only after the home minister was changed. He was also sad over DySP Kallappa Handibag’s suicide. However, he was not depressed. Since our marriage in 1996, we did not have any issues between us. Everything was fine,” she stated.

He was transferred frequently. When he was transferred from Madiwala to Yeshvantpur police station, he underwent a lot of harassment. He was a bit depressed after he was accused of killing a man in a ‘fake encounter’ in 2008, she added.

Pavana said Ganapathi’s family members, particularly his brother DySP M K Thammaiah, had not informed her about her husband’s death though they were aware of it. “Thammaiah was informed about the suicide by a police officer and his friends in Madikeri. Later, Ganapathi’s father Kushalappa came to know of the incident. However, they did not inform me. I came to know of it from my cousin and reached Madikeri from Mangaluru late in the night.” Pavana said she has no information on her father-in-law’s statement about her in his police complaint. “As per the Kodava tradition, I am not supposed to come out of the house for 11 days after my husband’s death. Otherwise, I myself would have gone to the police station and filed a complaint,” she said.

Spread the love