Mangaluru: The first day of the 19th Federation games started with the 5000 m race at the Mangala Stadium at 6.00 am here on May 1.
In the Men’s 5000 metres race, G Laxmanan Laxmanan representing the Army won the first place with 13:58.40 minutes, Gopi also from the Army won the second place with a timing of 14:03.17 minutes and Suresh Kumar from ONGC bagged the third place in 14:03.28 minutes.
Speaking to mangalorean.com, Laxmanan said, “I am representing Army. My best timing was 13:50 at the national championship.”
In the 5000 metre women’s race, Sooria L from Tamil Nadu won the gold. Speaking to mangalorean.com, Sooria said, “I am not happy with my performance, because my earlier record was 16:20. I completed the race in 16:55.90 minutes. After suffering from leg injury one month ago, I came back to the field. From the start of the race, I did not feel comfortable. I am not fully satisfied with my performance. I have to put more efforts in the next 10,000 metre race.”
P V Chitra from Kerala claimed the second place with 16:56.29 minutes and Pariti Lamba from Haryana bagged third place in 16:56.51 minutes.
- Mangaluru: Minister R V Deshpande Inaugurates 19th Federation Cup – National Senior Athletics Championship 2015
- Mangaluru: District Administration All set for Grand Inaugural of 19th Fed Cup at Mangala Stadium
- Mangaluru: High Jumper Sahana Kumari to Lead Karnataka Team in 19th Federation Cup
- Mangaluru : On Your Mark, Get Set for the 19th Fed Cup National Athletics Championships 2015
- Mangaluru: Mangala Stadium All set for 19th Federation Cup – G Parameshwar
- Mangaluru: Principal Secretary of YESD Nagambika Devi Visits Mangala Stadium
- Mangaluru: Ramanath Rai Inaugurates Doping Centre at Mangala Stadium
- Mangaluru: Abhaychandra Jain Visits Mangala Stadium – Hands over Rs 50 lakh Cheque to DC towards Federation Cup
- Mangaluru: Bollywood Star Suniel Shetty to attend 19th Federation Cup in City
- Mangaluru: DC Holds Review Meeting on 19th Federation Cup – National Senior Athletics Championship 2015