Mangaluru: President of KPCC G Parameshwar held a press meet at the Mangala Stadium here on April 29.
G Parameshwar thanked the Athletic Federation of India for granting the opportunity to host the 19th Federation Cup – National Senior Athletics Championship 2015 in Karnataka, particularly in Mangaluru.
Addressing the mediapersons, he said, “From the past one and half month, we have been preparing for this event. When all the ministers from the district decided to have the Federation Cup in Mangaluru, the district administration also supported the idea wholeheartedly. The state government granted Rs 1 crore for the Federation Cup and has shown that it is encouraging the youth to bring out their talents in sports. In the beginning, when the Federation Cup was announced to be hosted in Mangaluru, the stadium was in poor shape and not fit to host the national and international sports. We later discussed to upgrade the stadium to the international level. Now, almost 95% of the work has been completed and the remaining 5% will be done before noon on April 30.”
“200 certified officials from the Atheltic Federation of India have reached Mangaluru. So far, 900 athletes, both men and women, have registered their names to participate in the Federation Cup. Accommodation and food will be provided for all the 900 athletes and 200 officials. They will not face any problems and the menu will be provided as per their choice. During such events, doping test is very much important. A doping test centre has been opened and the same will be handed over to the NADA.”
“Under the leadership of Health Minister U T Khader, a ‘sports injury centre’ for the athletes will be started. This is centre is the first in the state and second in the entire country.”
A Media centre will be set up for the mediapersons with all necessary facilities. All the arrangements will be ready in time. The Karnataka athletic website will be relaunched at 4 pm on April 29. He urged the media to give wide publicity so that the public will come in large numbers to witness the 19th Federation Cup National Senior Athletics Championship.
G Parameshwar also said that the Prime Minister has called a meeting on April 30. “We have prepared a project for drinking water “Mekedatu”. In this regard, Chief Minister Siddaramaiah will meet the Prime Minister in Delhi. The PM has also formed a committee for Swachch Bharat and since chief ministers are the members of this committee, our CM being one of the members will have to attend the meeting which is scheduled on April 30. The Chief Minister has confirmed his presence for the Inaugural ceremony but if the meeting will not wind up in time, the CM may not be able to take part in it. Bollywood star Suniel Shetty; Chairman of Athletic Federation of India Adil Sabhariwala and other ministers will be present.” He further said, “We have not received any funds from the Union government.”
Health and Family Welfare Minister U T Khader said that a ‘sports injury centre’ has been setup to help the athletes. “When the athletes take part in the events, they may suffer injuries and may not be able to take part in the next event. When they undergo general surgery, they are not able to take part in an event for three months. We are starting a ‘Sports injury centre’ at the Sanjay Gandhi Poly Trauma Centre in Bengaluru soon. After New Delhi, the centre will be opened in Bengaluru where trained doctors will be assisting the athletes through orthoscopic treatment with minimum pain and minimum treatment, which will help the athletes to be back in the field within a short period of time. In Karnataka, we will start a fully fledged centre soon. One team consisting of 4 doctors will be reaching Mangaluru soon to treat the athletes during the federation cup.”
Deputy Commissioner A B Ibrahim speaking on the occasion said that the media will be briefed everyday during the event. “Many equipment have arrived. We have called a meeting with the college heads in the DC office to see that students will come in large numbers for the event. On April 30, the procession starts at 5:15 pm; the official inauguration of the Federation Cup will start at 6.15 pm and the cultural programme will begin at 7.15 pm.
- Mangaluru: Principal Secretary of YESD Nagambika Devi Visits Mangala Stadium
- Mangaluru: Ramanath Rai Inaugurates Doping Centre at Mangala Stadium
- Mangaluru: Abhaychandra Jain Visits Mangala Stadium – Hands over Rs 50 lakh Cheque to DC towards Federation Cup
- Mangaluru: Bollywood Star Suniel Shetty to attend 19th Federation Cup in City
- Mangaluru: DC Holds Review Meeting on 19th Federation Cup – National Senior Athletics Championship 2015