Prof. Dr Edward Noronha – Mangalorean Star
Mangalorean.com is proud to announce a stalwart personality to its readers and viewers and confers Edward Robert Jude Thaddeus Noronha, popularly known as Dr Edward Noronha, Mangalorean Star of the month of March. He is a man of principles, an academician, a vibrant musician, popular linguist, able administrator, lucid orator and above all a lover cum contributor to Konkani language as a writer and a poet. His interests are varied and his work is commendable. He has left an indelible mark in whatever field that was entrusted to his care.
Edward was born in Mangalore on October 13, 1946 as a proud son of his dignified parents Mr Felix Paul Noronha, a Konkani writer and a poet and Mrs Magdalene Pereira. His basic education began in St. Sebastian Primary School, Bendore and he completed his High school and Graduation studies in B. Sc at St. Aloysius, Mangalore. His thirst for further studies made him to join Jnana Deepa Vidyapeeth, Pune for Bachelors in Philosophy through Jesuit Seminary portals where he not only completed his philosophy course but also did course work in Theology.
He developed his passion for Konkani literature and poetry inherited from his father from the high school days.
He accepted Miss. Minette Pinto, MSW as his life partner in 1979. They are blessed with 2 sons, Emmanuel Marian (26) and Allan William (14), the fellows are a continual blessing and joy to both of them. Emmanuel is a graduate of Saginaw Valley State University, Michigan, USA and presently is in USA. Allan is doing high school studies in Mysore. Prof. Edward shaped his career as a teacher in the University of Mysore for 30 years. Presently, he enjoys his retired life keeping in touch with books and guiding scholars in their research work.
As a Professional, he offered his valuable service to the field of education in various capacities.
• Professor in Kannada (Post-Graduate), Post-Graduate Center, University of Mysore, Mandya, July 2002 thru 2006
• Director and Professor of Kannada, Hema Gangotri, Post-Graduate Center of the University of Mysore, Hassan, July 1999 thru July 2002.
• Deputy Director, Academic Staff College, University of Mysore, Manasa Gangotri, Mysore, December 1996 thru July 1997.
• Reader in Kannada (Post-Graduate), Kuvempu Institute of Kannada Studies, University of Mysore, Manasa Gangotri, Mysore, August 1991 thru June 1999
• Senior Scale Lecturer in Kannada (Post–Graduate), Kuvempu Institute of Kannada Studies, University of Mysore, Manasa Gangotri, Mysore, January 1986 thru July 1991
• Lecturer in Kannada (Post-Graduate), Kuvempu Institute of Kannada Studies, University of Mysore, Manasa Gangotri, Mysore, August 1997 thru December 1985
• Lecturer in Kannada (Under–Graduate), St. Philomena’s College, Mysore, June 1997 thru July 1997
• Lecturer in Kannada (Under-Graduate), University Evening College, University of Mysore, Mysore, January 1974 thru May 1975
• Asst. Head Master, St. Joseph’s High School Hassan, June 1969 thru June 1970
As an Academic he is renowned with several degrees both in India and abroad.
• Intensive Course in German Language, upto Mittelstufe I, Goeth Institutes, Boppard and Goettingen, West Germany. Zertifikat Deutsch als Fremdsprache – 1986
• Ph.D. (Doctor of Philosophy) in Kannada. Title of the dissertation: “Contribution of Christian Missionaries to Kannada Religious Literature”. University of Mysore, Mysore. Guide: late Prof. Ha. Ma. Nayaka – 1984
• Course work in Theology, Jnana Deepa Vidyapeeth, Institute of Philosophy and Religion, Pune – 1977
• B. Ph. (Bachelor of Philosophy) in Philosophy, Jnana Deepa Vidyapeeth, Institute of Philosophy and Religion, Pune – 1975
• M.A. (Master of Arts) in Kannada, University of Mysore, Post-Graduate Center, Mangalore. I Class with distinction, IV rank in the University of Mysore – 1972
• B. Sc (Bachelor of Science) in Physics and Chemistry, languages: English & Kannada. University of Mysore, St. Aloysius College, Mangalore – 1969
• One Year Course in humanities and classical language – English, Latin, Greek, Literature, History. Mount St. Joseph Training College, Bangalore – 1966
Teaching and Research Experience:
For 30 Years Dr Edward spent his time in teaching as a Lecturer, Senior Lecturer, Reader and Professor at the Post Graduate Department of Kannada, University of Mysore, Mysore.
Subjects Taught: Mediaeval Kannada Literature; Modern Kannada Literature: The Essay and The Nove; An Overview of Kannada Literature: Selected Texts; History of Translation in Kannada and Background to Kannada Literature.
Principles of Linguistics: Descriptive Linguistics and Dravidian Linguistics; Introduction to the Structure of Kannada; Introduction to the Study of Culture.
Principles and Philosophy of Translation; Linguistics Theories of Translation; History of Translation – Western and Indian; Practical Translation.
European Literature: Drama and Poetry; Comparative Literature: Epics – Homer, Virgil, and Dante.
PhD Supervision: Three candidates successfully guided for Ph.D. in Kannada, University of Mysore, Mysore
Other Research Activities:
1. Principal Investigator from 1993 to 1994 in the “Konkani Language Development Project”, Konkani Christian Association, Mysore; funded by the Central Institute of Indian Language (under the HRD Ministry), Mysore.
2. Joint Project on “Indian English in Context” with Prof. Carlos Ramet, Saginaw Valley State University, Saginaw, U.S.A.
3. Joint Project on “Kannada Short Stories in Italian” with Dr. T. Ripepi, University of Torino, Turin, Italy.
• Alexander von Humboldt Research Fellowship, Department of Communications and History, Technische Universitaet Berlin, West Berlin, West Germany; Department of English, Freie Universitaet, West Berlin, West Germany from September 1986 thru January 1989.
• Visiting Professor, Saginaw Valley State University, Saginaw, U.S.A. (Taught Indian Culture and Literature in Translation), from May 1997 thru August 1997
• Visiting Professor, Saginaw Valley State University, Saginaw, U.S.A. (Taught World Literature, and Indian Literature in Translation), from January 2005 thru May 2005
Visits to Foreign Universities: Saginaw Valley State University, MI, U.S.A;Georg – August University, Goettingen, Germany; Karl Marx University, Leipzig, Germany; Katholieke University, Louvain, Belgium; State University of New York, Binghamton, U.S.A.; University of Michigan, Flint, U.S.A.; University of Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium.
Dr Edward had been a member of various Academic Bodies, Boards, etc. The mention of it explains his caliber and zeal.
• Chairman, Board of Examination, M.A. in Kannada Universities of Mysore, Mysore – April 2001 – January 2003.
• Member of the Academic Council, University of Mysore, Mysore – July 1999
• Member of the Arts Faculty, University of Mysore, Mysore – October 1995 – October 2001
• Member, Board of studies in Kannada (Post Graduate) University of Mysore, Mysore – June 2001
• Chairman, Board of Examination, M.A. in Kannada, University of Mysore, Mysore – April 2001
• Member, Board of Examination, M.A. in Kannada, University of Mysore, Mysore – April 2000
• Chairman, Board of Examination, M.A. in South Indian Studies, University of Mysore, Mysore – April 1996
• Chairman, Board of Examinations, M. Phil. and Diploma in Translation, University of Mysore, Mysore – April 1994
• Member Board of Appointments in Kannada, Karnataka University, Dharwar. Member, Board of Appointments in Hindi, Gulbarga University, Gulbarga – 2003 -2004.
• Chairman, Board of examination in Konkani, Mangalore University, Mangalore – January 2003
• Member, Board of Examination, M.A. in Kannada, Karnataka State Open University, Mysore – April 2001
• Member, Board of Examination, M.A. in Kannada, Karnataka University, Dharwar – April 2001
• Examiner, Ph.D. in Kannada, Kuvempu University, Shimoga – 2001 – 2003
• Member, of the Committee for Review and Up gradation of Post-Graduate Departments, Department of Konkani, Goa University, Goa – March 2000
• Examiner, Ph.D. in Kannada, Bangalore University Bangalore – 1994 – 1996
• Examiner, M.Phil. in Kannada, Osmania University, Hyderabad – 1999
• Also examiner for M.A. in Kannada in the following Universities: Bangalore University, Osmania University, Hyderabad; Kuvempu University, Shimoga and for Konkani (B.A. level) Mangalore University, Mangalore.
• Member of the Committee for revision of syllabus for KPSC examinations, Karnataka Public Service Commission, Bangalore – June 2001
• Member of the Final Jury for selecting the Central Sahitya Akademi Translation Award for Konkani: Central Sahitya Akademi Regional Office,Bombay – Goa,
• Member of the Jury for Selection of the Konkani Man of the Millennium, Mandd – Sobhann, Mangalore, March 2000
• Member of the Final Jury to select the Central Sahitya Akademi National Award for Konkani, Central Sahitya Akademi Regional Office, Bombay – Goa, December 1998
• Member of the Jury to select the Annual Poetry and Folklore Awards of Mandd – Sobhann, Mangalore, March 1998
Awards and Recognitions by National and International Organization:
• Alexander von Humboldt Research Fellowship 1986 – 1989. Awarded by the Alexander von Humboldt Stiftung, Bonn, Germany.
• Visiting Professor: Saginaw Valley State University, Saginaw, Michigan, U.S.A. 1997; 2005.
• Recognized Guide for Ph.D. research in Kannada: University of Mysore, Mysore.
• Member of the Final Jury for the National Awards in Konkani, Central Sahitya Akademi, New Delhi.
• Member of the Jury for Annual Awards for Kannada Translation and Konkani Literary works, State Sahitya Akademi, Bangalore, Karnataka.
• Director of workshop in Konkani Translation 1997. Organized by the State Konkani Sahitya Akademi, Mangalore, Karnataka.
• Resource Person at Academic Staff Colleges of the Karnataka University, Dharwar, and the University of Mysore, Mysore.
Membership of Professional Bodies:
Dr Edward is a Member of Konkani Sahitya Academy, Karnataka, Kannada Sahitya Parishat, Bangalore, and Konkani Christian Association, Mysore.
• Presented two papers at the VI International Institute for Semiotic and Structural Studies, Mysore From December 1984 through January 1985, organized by C.I.I.L., Mysore and University of Toronto, Canada; University of Urbino, Italy.
• Participated in International Pragmatics Conference, Antwerp, Belgium in August 1987, organized by the International Pragmatics Association, University of Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium.
• Participated in the 23rd Linguistic Colloquium, Free University, West Berlin, Germany, in August 1988, organized by the Osteuropa Institute, Free University, West Berlin, Germany.
• Presented a paper at the Fachsymposium: Humanistic and Literary Translation in International Culture Exchange, Sonthofen, Germany in October 1991, organized by the Alexander von Humboldt Stiffung, Bonn, Germany.
• Joint paper with Prof Carlos Ramet, presented by Prof. Carlos Ramet during the Michigan Academy Annual Meeting, Flint, Michigan, USA in March 1999, organized by The Michigan Academy of Science, Arts and Letters, University of Michigan, Flint, USA
• Presented a Paper on Girish Karnard’s ‘Hayavadana’ during Michigan Academy Annual Meeting, Ypsilanti, Michicagn, USA in March 2005, organized by the Michigan Academy of Science, Arts and Letters.
1. “Indian English in Context: A Descriptive Analysis Based on Short Stories by Khushwant Singh” – in the Journal of the Karnataka University, XLII (1999- 2001), 105 – 121.
2. “Kafka – Ueberstzungen and Kannadische Literature” Uebersetzen, Verstechen, Bruecken Bauen. Armin Paul Frank and others (eds). Publishers: Berlin: Enrich Schmidt Verlag, 1993, 594 – 605.
3. “Poetic Communication and its Translation”. Semiotica LXIX, ¾ (1988), 355 – 62. Publisher: Mouton de Gruyter, Amsterdam, the Netherlands.
4. “My people’: Reflection on a Dalit Kannada Poem”. Doing Theology with the Poetic Traditions of, India Joseph Patmury (ed), Bangalore: PTCA / SATHRI, 1996, 54-61.
International Project in Progress:
Preparation of an anthology of Kannada Short Stories in Italian Translation: in collaboration with Dr. T. Ripepi, University of Torino, Turin, Italy.
Prof. Edward Noronha has participated in numerous national & international conferences and presented papers in some and delivered keynote addresses in others. The list is elaborative and a mirror to his efficiency.
His contribution to literary field is immense. He has authored 9 books in Kannada, English and Konkani languages and written 48 articles to various reputed journals of which several articles appeared in Kannada Encyclopedia and the subject Encyclopedia, both published by the Institute of Kannada Studies, Mysore. Due to the command over Konkani, Kannada, Tulu, Hindi, English, German and Latin languages, he has been able to translate books and articles to different languages.
Prof. Dr Edward Noronha’s message to our readers:
“The Mangalorean community has been blessed by God with two things: one, a knowledge of our own religion, and, two, an extraordinary ability to succeed in life. However, while the latter has led to material prosperity, fulfillment in life has to come from God. And with this fulfilment will the Manglaorean community give to those around them, give them the same prosperity and fulfillment, for now, and for always.”
Mangalorean.com wishes Prof. Dr Edward Noronha all the very best in his future endeavors!
Submitted By Rev. Dr Ronald Cutinha, Mangalore
well….Oman universities….offering Kannada language learning course
Dr.Prakasha Halageri, India:
dear sir ur really a ambassador of our great india; especially karnataka-kannada
u have great job sir.
i hearty wishing u keep it up sir.
Professor in Kannada
G.F.G.C and P.G Centre
Marian Jayson, India:
We miss you.
And am grateful for being my god father.
I would want to get in touch with aunt minette, Immanuel and Allan
Lilly Pinto, UAE:
Nice to see all of you on net
Minette and family
TAREK KREIDIEH, Germany:
WE MISS YOU MY FRIEND IN OUR DEEPEST SADNESS AND RESPECT-
THIS IS TO YOU MY DEDICATION TO YOU WRITTEN BY BRIAN MAY OF THE BRITISH BAND QUEEN
DEDICATED TO YOU PROF.DR.EDWARD NOROHNA
A hand above the water
An angel reaching for the sky
Is it raining in heaven –
Do you want us to cry?
And everywhere the broken-hearted
On every lonely avenue
No-one could reach them
No-one but you
One by one
Only the Good die young
They’re only flying too close to the sun
And life goes on –
Another Tricky Situation
I get to drownin’ in the Blues
And I find myself thinkin’
Well – what would you do?
Yes! – it was such an operation
Forever paying every due
Hell, you made a sensation
You found a way through
One by one
Only the Good die young
They’re only flyin’ too close to the sun
We’ll remember –
And now the party must be over
I guess we’ll never understand
The sense of your leaving
Was in the way it was planned…
So we grace another table
And raise our glasses one more time
There’s a face at the window
And i aint never, never saying goodbye…
One by one
Only the Good die young
They’re only flyin’ too close to the sun
Cryin’ for nothing
Cryin’ for no-one
No-one but you
REST IN PEACE MY DEAR FRIEND
Col Sushil C (Retd), India:
Eddie was my classmate in St Aloysius along with Kenneth and George. Thanks to Mangalorean I can now get in touch with them after 47 years!!!!!
cyril d’souza, India:
i knew dr noronha long ago
i would like to get in touch with him
my e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Kenneth Sreshta, USA:
It was great pride that I read about the achievements of Prof. E. Noronha. I was his classmate during our high school years in Mangalore. I live in the US now and would be grateful if you please give my email address to him. I would like to get in touch with him after a break of 46 email@example.com
George M.J., USA:
I congratulate Prof Noronha for his various achievements. Please have Prof Noronha send his email address to me. I am his class mate through high school at St. Aloysius. I now live in the USA. My email address is firstname.lastname@example.org