Karkala: Bison (Indian gaur) have been roaming around Mundkur and Belmannu during the past year
Called kaaTi or kaaDukoNa in local languages, they present a fierce look and create awe and fear. On Tuesday afternoon, a pair showed up on the road at Subrayabenni of Durga in Mundkur panchayat limits.
As the news spread, there was both fear and curiosity around, since they had ventured out after a break of a few months.
The closest reported visit of theirs to town was near Belmannu church in early January, 2015. Their royal march in Subrayabenni on Tuesday unnerved the residents as damage to agricultural farms with rice fields and banana farms was reported.
Agriculturist Sudhakar Shetty has said that the forest personnel have been informed. They keep saying that the bison happen to pass by open areas while in transit between one forest to the other.
They are said to be harmless by themselves but might tend to attack if they feel insecure or threatened by humans and external factors.
Hence caution and patience should be observed if they are spotted from close distance, they said. But the very idea of their presence around has spread a sense of fear.
The public have been asked to avoid creating needless disturbance since they are likely to react violently. The advice apart, the agriculturists whose produce has been damaged are keen that steps should be taken by the department to ensure that they are driven back to the forest.
- Puttur: Pair of Bisons Appears near Homes around Renjaladi, Creates Scare
- Kundapur: Daylight March of Bisons into Human Territory Creates Fear in Nada
- Kundapur: Lone Bison on Majestic March Damages Farm Growth and Produce
- Udupi: Bison Menace again in Havanje – Agricultural Crops Damaged
- Karkala: Scare around as Bisons Show up in Belmannu Church Surroundings
- Bantwal: Bisons Create Scare at Rayi Kudkoli – ‘Leave Them Alone’ Says Official
- Mangalore: Bison Makes Repeat Guest Appearance inside Airport Area!