This is a wholesome meal and is a favourite with those who like beef. Since it is prepared with a couple of veggies there is no need for an accompanying side dish. However you can add baked or fried potatoes to the main course along with the celery and carrots.
4 lbs beef rump
1 medium onion peeled and diced (big cubes)
1 celery stalk, peeled and diced 1" (just one stalk, not a bunch)
2 carrots, peeled and sliced into 1" thick rounds
1/4 tsp. Thyme (not fresh)
1/2 tsp. basil (not fresh)
2 tbsp. plain four
2 tbsp. refined oil
1 1/4 cup beer
1 1/4 cup beef stock (can be prepared from beef soup cubes, 7 nos. dissolved in 1 1/2 cup hot water)
Large oven bag for baking
1. Heat 1 tbsp of oil and fry meat on all sides till light brown. Remove and set aside.
2. In the same oil fry celery, carrots, onion along with thyme and basil (2-3 minutes), remove and set aside.
3. Add 1 more tbsp. of oil and brown the plain flour, add beef stock, bring it to a boil and then add the beer and give it another boil.
4. Sprinkle flour in the oven bag; put all the above ingredients in it and seal.
5. Pierce the bag to release steam. Place the bag in the oven tray and roast for 30-40 minutes.
(Hint: Select the rump with fat so that you can fry it without using oil. Thyme and basil are available in the supermarkets in bottles in the spice rack.)
Author: Eula Pinto- Muscat