25 C
Mangalore
Saturday, February 16, 2019
Home Agency News Trump's confidant defends Saudi Arabia over Khashoggi's murder, apologises

Trump’s confidant defends Saudi Arabia over Khashoggi’s murder, apologises

Spread the love

Trump’s confidant defends Saudi Arabia over Khashoggi’s murder, apologises

Washington: Tom Barrack, a billionaire real estate investor who is one of President Donald Trump’s closest confidants, has defended Saudi Arabia over journalist Jamal Khashoggi’s killing, saying that the US does not have the moral authority to criticise the kingdom due to its own record of “atrocities”.

Barrack made the comments on Tuesday at a summit in Abu Dhabi organised by the Santa Monica, California-based Milken Institute think tank. He apologised for his remarks on Wednesday.

“Whatever happened in Saudi Arabia, the atrocities in America are equal or worse to the atrocities in Saudi Arabia,” Barrack had told the crowd at the Milken Institute’s MENA Summit, the Washington Post reported citing Gulf News.

“The atrocities in any autocratic country are dictated by the rule of law. So, for us to dictate what we think is the moral code there – when we have a young man (Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman) and a regime that’s trying to push themselves into 2030 – I think is a mistake.”

Barrack was also a top fundraiser during Trump’s 2016 campaign and helped raise more than $100 million as chairman of Trump’s inaugural committee. His remarks invited criticism back home.

“There is never a time that you can go murder a journalist in a foreign country, dismember them and carry their body off and say that somehow that’s justifiable,” Republican Senator James Lankford said.

“It never, ever is justifiable and it doesn’t equate to anything that’s happened in the US where we stand up for the free press,” he added.

Later, Barrack issued a statement, calling the murder of Khashoggi “atrocious” and “inexcusable” and apologised for “not making this clear in my comments earlier this week”.

Khashoggi, a Washington Post columnist and prominent critic of the Crown Prince’s policies, was killed and dismembered by a team of Saudi agents inside the kingdom’s Consulate in Istanbul on October 2.

The Central Intelligence Agency concluded last year that the Crown Prince ordered Khashoggi’s killing. But Saudi officials rejected that assertion and said the agents who killed the journalist were acting against orders.

Despite apologising, Barrack suggested that the responsibility of the murder should not rest on Saudi leadership.

“I feel strongly that the bad acts of a few should not be interpreted as the failure of an entire sovereign kingdom,” he said, maintaining that “rule of law and monarchies across the Middle East are confusing to the West”.

Several Republicans had earlier joined Democrats in accusing the Trump administration of misleading the country and obscuring the truth of Bin Salman’s alleged involvement in the murder. Khashoggi’s body has not been found yet.


Spread the love

Leave a Reply

Please enter your comment!

The opinions, views, and thoughts expressed by the readers and those providing comments are theirs alone and do not reflect the opinions of www.mangalorean.com or any employee thereof. www.mangalorean.com is not responsible for the accuracy of any of the information supplied by the readers. Responsibility for the content of comments belongs to the commenter alone.  

We request the readers to refrain from posting defamatory, inflammatory comments and not indulge in personal attacks. However, it is obligatory on the part of www.mangalorean.com to provide the IP address and other details of senders of such comments to the concerned authorities upon their request.

Hence we request all our readers to help us to delete comments that do not follow these guidelines by informing us at  info@mangalorean.com. Lets work together to keep the comments clean and worthful, thereby make a difference in the community.

Please enter your name here

Members Login

Obituary

Congratulations