Mangaluru: The Muslim Central Committee (MCC) held a press meet at Hotel Woodlands on August 27, in connection with the recent assault on Shakir at Attavar on August 24.
Addressing the mediapersons, the vice president of the Muslim Central Committee Ibrahim Kodijal said that on 24 August an innocent youth, Shakir was assaulted by the members of the Sangh Parivar after tying him to an electric pole and stripping him, which the MCC strongly condemns. “We had met the victim in the hospital and he said, “The girl asked Rs 2000 with me and I gave it to her as I am an HR manager and she works under me”.”
He further said, “It is our dream to develop our district but some anti social elements are against it. The assault on Shakir has put the people of DK in shame. No religion teaches to fight with the people of other religions, instead it teaches to love one another. We should all join hands to curb immoral policing in the district. The incident has created fear in the minds of the people. Many people from outside the state and country want to invest in Mangaluru but if such situations continue, people will not come here for any investment and we will suffer.”
Praising the police commissioner for his swift action in arresting 13 persons related to the case, he said that the committee has already informed the district minister in-charge, the home minister and the chief minister to take this issue seriously and find out a permanent solution to curb such incidents in the future. “This is an inhumane act and cannot be tolerated; the culprits should be severely punished. The district administration should take all measures to stop immoral policing in the district.”
He also said that organizations were required in society but organizations which create fear by assaulting Muslim youth are dangerous for the development of the society. “The thirteen who have been arrested in the assault case are all around 25 years of age. If they follow the wrong path, where they will land in future?” he questioned. “It is the duty of the leader of every organization to correct their members when they commit any crime or mistake. The Muslim Central Committee condemns the heinous act and urges all not to treat Shakir as Muslim but to treat him as an Indian and support him to receive justice.”
Members of Muslim Central Committee M A Ashraf, C M Haneef, Aslam, Hameed Kudroli, Ahmed Bava, C M Mustafa and others were also present.
- Mangaluru: Bajrang Dal did not Strip Shakir, they Stripped MLAs and Ministers of DK – SDPI Haneef Khan
- Mangaluru: 13 persons in Shakir Assault case Sent to 10 days Judicial Custody to Bellary
- Mangaluru: DYFI Demands Arrest of Sharan Pumpwell in Attavar Assault Case
- Mangaluru: MLA J R Lobo Visits Attavar Assault Victim Shakir, Assures Justice
- Mangaluru: I have threat to my life, Anwar should be arrested – Komal
- Kolkata: Mangalore moral policing incident ‘shocking and unfortunate’ – Saraswati Ghosh
- Mangaluru: 15 Hindu Activists detained for Stripping and Assaulting Youth
- Mangaluru: Youth Thrashed by Hindu Activists for Accompanying Girl in Car