Mangaluru: Adding to the statistics of chain-snatching cases in the undivided DK district, there is yet another instance reported from Udupi.
Sugandhi (41), wife of Muralidhar residing near Marpalli railway bridge in Korangrapadi, was walking home after collecting her children Pradha and Dipti after their tuition classes.
As they kept walking on the temple road, a scooter arrived from the opposite direction. The rider suddenly bent towards her and snatched her mangalsutra along with the shawl of her churidar.
Before she could recover from the shock, the man had sped away. The value of the ornament is said to be Rs 50,000.
Such cases keep happening time and again, in spite of being repeatedly reported in the media and cautions issued by the police. It is true that the police have to instill a sense of security in the minds of the citizens. But, at the same time, it is also to be borne in mind that prevention is better than detection.
As the price of gold has soared to unexpected heights lately, snatching gold has become the fastest means to make money. The police cannot be everywhere. Proper precautions are to be taken by citizens also.
Of late, senior citizens are being targeted by miscreants. It is the duty of the family members to ensure that their elders do not wear expensive ornaments while going out alone, esp., in remote places. A study of many recent instances shows that women wore heavy jewellery while on a morning walk or going to grocery shops or milk booths. An awareness campaign in this regard is a must.
Imitation jewellery is being recommended to be worn while travelling. Many women might feel that once they are married, the mangalsutra becomes part of them. As long as the husband remains alive, it should be worn as a religious or traditional requirement.
But anytime life is more precious than anything else. In many other countries, people get killed while being mugged on street-corners and subways. Such situations may not be far here too.
Already there are a plenty of cases of house-owners getting killed by intruders in the process of looting. The owners are at no fault and the culprits do not have any grudge against the victims. The acts are driven only by sheer greed.
These acts could soon be seen on our roads too, unless precaution is taken.
Never-ending chain of instances:
- Kundapur: Attempt to Snatch Gold Chain Fails with Targeted Woman’s Scream
- Mangaluru: Gold Chain Worth Rs 45,000 from Child Snatched during Kudroli Temple Festival
- Puttur: School-teacher Pushed into Ditch, Gold Chain Snatched at Kanchana Bajattur
- Mangaluru: Chain-snatching
Spree Continues – When Will We Learn a Lesson?
- Mangaluru: Woman’s Chain Snatched While Walking on Ullal Railway Platform
- Mangaluru: Chain Snatched from Woman Waiting for Bus in the Heart of City
- Mangaluru: Chain-snatching
Incident Reported from Suburban Thokur
- Mangaluru: Same Old Story! Woman’s Rs 42,000-worth Gold Chain Snatched by Bike-riders
- Kundapur: Daylight Chain-snatching in Tallur and Bhatkal – Handiwork of Same Bikers?
- Mangaluru: Woman Loses 6-and-a-half Sovereign Chain to Snatcher on Vithoba Road
- Mangaluru: Asking for Drinking Water, Stranger Snatches Senior Woman’s Gold Chain
- Mangaluru: Pandeshwar Police Arrest Chain Snatcher Edwin Dinesh
- Bantwal: Bike-riders Snatch Chain from Woman, Only to Find it to be an Imitation Piece!
- Mangaluru: Shiva Bagh a Favourite Target for Chain-snatchers? Another Incident Proves So…
- Mangaluru: Chain of Gold-snatching Cases Continues – Another Instance in Shiva Bagh
- Mangaluru: Two More Chain-snatching Cases – When will Women Learn a Valuable Lesson?
- Mangaluru: Chain-snatching
Incidents Continue in City – Woman Loses Gold Worth Rs 4.80 Lakh
- Mangaluru: Two Incidents in City Confirm an Alarming Rise in Chain-snatching Activity
- Mangaluru: Bikers Wanted to Know the Way, but Snatched Woman’s Chain
- Moodbidri: Gold Worth Rs 1.50 Lakh Snatched from Woman on Way to Gantalkatte Church
- Mangaluru: Now it’s a Male’s Turn to be Target of Chain-snatching!
- Mangaluru: Woman’s Chain Snatched while Sweeping Yard in Souterpet
- Puttur: Two Incidents of Chain-snatching in a Day – Same Culprits Likely
- Kinnigoli: Woman Loses 32 Gms Piece of Chain to Snatchers near Pakshikere
- Mangalore: Homemaker’s Gold Chain Snatched on Pretext of Asking for Water
- Mangalore: Teacher Waiting for Bus at Bhatrakodi Loses Chain Worth Rs 1.50 Lakh to Snatchers
- Mangalore: Senior Woman’s Gold Chain Snatched from River Bank in Adyar
- Karkala: Woman Loses Chain Worth Rs 1 Lakh to Snatcher in Anekere
- Manipal: Chain Snatched from Woman at Anant Nagar while on Morning Walk
- Bantwal: Woman on Way to Loreto Church Loses 7 Sovereign Gold to Bike-riding Snatchers
- Sullia: Chain Snatched from Lonely Woman by Young Man Riding Bike at Adkar
- Mangalore: Chain-snatchers Continue to Rule – Pedestrian Woman of 84 Loses Gold
- Mangalore: Teacher Waiting for Bus in Pandeshwar Loses Chain to Snatchers
- Mangalore: Chain of Gold-snatching Incidents Appears Never-ending!
- Mangalore: Chain-snatchers Strike again – Woman Loses Gold at Mathadakani
- Mangalore: Woman’s Gold Chain Snatched by Bikers in Vas Lane
- Moodbidri: Another Incident of Chain-snatching in Broad Daylight
- Udupi: Woman from Pernal Loses Rs 1.5 Lakh Gold Chains to Snatchers
- Kundapur: Bike-riding Duo Snatches Gold Chain from Woman
- Mangalore: Woman’s Chain
Snatched while Walking in Suvarna Lane
- Mangalore: Chain-snatching
Incident in Valencia – Value Rs 1.30 Lakh
- Mangalore: More Chain-
snatching Incidents in City
- Mangalore: ‘Chain’ of Gold-snatching Cases at Secluded Places Continues
- Udupi: Gold Chains Worth Rs 1.4 Lakh Snatched from Woman
- Udupi: Chain-snatcher with Past Record Nabbed by Hebri Police
- Udupi: Man Involved in Kadabettu Chain-snatching
Arrested at Shirva
- Udupi: Cash and Ornaments Snatched from Woman’s Vanity Bag
- Udupi: Chain-snatcher Caught by Public at Volakkad
- Mangalore: Chain-snatcher Caught on Spot by Public