DySP suicide case: Minister K J George resigns after court orders FIR against him
Bengaluru (PTI)Update: Facing mounting pressure, Karnataka Minister K J George today resigned shortly after a court directed police to register an FIR against him and two top police officers in connection with alleged suicide of a DySP, which has kicked up a huge storm in the state.
George stepped down within hours after a local court at Madikeri in Kodagu district gave the direction on a private criminal complaint filed by the deceased police officer M K Ganapathy’s son Nehal requesting it to direct the police to take up investigation against the minister and two officers for allegedly abetting his father’s suicide.
“I have submitted my resignation…it is left to the Chief Minister (to accept or not),” George, Minister for Bengaluru development, said, adding, he had taken the step to pave the way for an impartial probe.
Asserting that his conscience was “clear”, George said “… I have not harassed anybody… I will come out clean.”
The order by Additional Judicial Magistrate First Class Annapurneshwari came, as Chief Minister Siddaramaiah faced growing clamour to remove George, with the Opposition stalling proceedings of both the Houses of legislature, which were abruptly adjourned sine die today much before the July 30 schedule.
Ganapathy’s wife Pavana and Nehal had approached the court, stating that the police had rejected the complaint lodged by them with the Kushalanagar police on July 10 against George and IPS officials A M Prasad and Pranab Mohanty.
In his complaint, Nehal had said his father had made a “dying declaration” naming George and the two officers and their acts amounted to “abetting the commission of suicide.”
Appealing to the court to take cognisance of the offence punishable under IPC section 306 read with Section 34, the complaint had also claimed that the accused were highly placed and influential persons who had prevailed upon police from taking action against them.
Bengaluru: DySP Ganapathi had committed suicide after giving an interview to a local TV channel in Madikeri on July 7. DySP Ganapathi had mentioned KJ George’s name along with two other police officers.
The opposition staged a protest and did not allow the sessions to function. The opposition demanded the resignation of K J George. Finally, on 18 July K J George resigned from his post after the court ordered FIR against him in the DySP Ganapathi case.
- DySP suicide: Court directs registration of FIR against minister, two others
- ‘Show Patience!’ – Moily’s Advice to Party’s Seniors
- ‘Political Game in DySP Ganapathi’s Suicide’- Ivan
- DySP Ganapathy Suicide – Kodagu Crippled over Two Days
- Court Reserves Ruling over Narco Test on Naresh
- Naresh Shenoy’s Custody Extended up to July 28
- Naresh Shenoy to be in Police Custody for 2 More Days
- Baliga Murder Accused Suffering from Kidney Ailment?
- Naresh Shenoy in Custody – Police Seek Narco-analysis
- An open letter to the Director General CSIR
- Baliga Murder – Family Congratulates City Police Chief
- Baliga Murder Case – Naresh Shenoy Produced in Court
- Baliga Murder Case Prime accused Naresh Shenoy arrested
- Naresh Shenoy will be Arrested Soon – Sources
- Baliga Murder – Naresh, 6 Others Chargesheeted
- Another Accused Srikanth Arrested in Baliga Murder case
- Manjunath Arrested in Baliga Murder case
- Baliga Murder – Naresh Shenoy’s Close Associate in Police Custody
- Police Raid House of Vedavyas in Mannagudda in Baliga Murder Case
- Baliga Murder, DSO Holds Padayatra to Arrest Naresh Shenoy
- Anticipatory Bail for Naresh Shenoy in Baliga Murder Case Rejected
- Baliga Murder – Police to File Objection to Naresh Shenoy’s Bail
- ‘Politicians are Dumb and Mangalureans are Deaf’ – Dr Narendra Nayak
- Baliga Murder Case – Accused Shiva Arrested?
- BJP Leaders Involved in the Murder of Vinayak Baliga – Mithun Rai
- Baliga Murder Accused Sent to Three-day Police Custody
- ‘Lookout Notice Issued against Yuva Brigade’s Naresh Shenoy’ – Police
- ‘BJP Directly Involved in Murder of Vinayak Baliga’ – Ramanath Rai
- Has Murder Suspect Fled to Dubai? Baliga Family Expresses Fears
- CPI(M) Demands Thorough Probe into Vinayak Baliga Murder Case
- Vinayak Baliga’s Work Gains Momentum at National Level
- Nikhil Shenoy in City on Fact-finding Mission in Baliga Murder Case
- Baliga Murder – Police Raid House of Naresh Shenoy of Yuva Brigade
- Police Look out for Shiva and Shrikant Wanted in Baliga Murder Case
- Activists Demand Special Investigation Team in Baliga Murder Case
- Baliga Murder – Fingers Pointed at Yuva Brigade Leader
- An Open Letter to Fellow-Mangalureans on Vinayak Baliga’s Murder
- Vinayak Baliga Murder – Two Suspects Arrested
- Murder of Vinayak Baliga, RTI Activist who Fought for Justice
- RTI Activist Vinayak Baliga Hacked to Death at Kodialbail