Sullia: A sole wild elephant has created widespread scare in some villages in the taluk during the past week.
Those who have spotted it have confirmed that it is the same animal which had marched across the villages in the forest edges last year.
On Dec 31 last, it was first spotted at Pulikukku of Edamangala village. Later it marched several kilometres by crossing Panja, Bantamale, Elimale, Devachalla, Doddatota, Kandadka, Ubaradka and Soontodu. Then it had entered some parts of Kodagu like Peraje towards Bhagamandala.
Since elephants are believed to have a good memory, the pachyderm is said to have returned from Bhagamandala, passing through Kolikamoole to Peraje, close to the Mani-Mysuru highway between Sullia and Sampaje.
When last reports came, it had camped in Kundadu. Villagers burst firecrackers to drive it away. Since the animals are very fond of a certain species of palm trees, they tend to come to villages, say farmers.
(File pics for graphic effect only)
- Sullia: Wild Elephants Explore New Territory, Play Havoc at Former ZP Member’s Farm
- Sullia: Jumbos Simply Love Town Life, Refuse to Return to Natural Habitat
- Sullia: Jumbos March into Town Periphery Yet Again – Vital Link Road Closed for Public Safety
- Sullia: Sole Jumbo Appears Close to Panja Town – Possibly Same Old Trouble-maker
- Sullia: Unfazed by Drum-beats and Crackers, Wild Elephants Stay Put near Homes
- Subrahmanya: Father and Two Children Survive Close Encounter with Solitary Wild Elephant
- Sullia: Jumbos Show up in Adpangaya and Haspare Areas in Ajjavara Village
- Sullia: Jumbos Back again in Their Favourite Haunt at Mandekolu Creating Fear
- Beltangady: Sole Wild Elephant Marches into Human Habitat around Indabettu
- Puttur: Jumbo March on Shiradi Ghat Highway Brings Traffic to Standstill for Half an Hour
- Sullia: It’s Action Replay ! Jumbos Return to Cause Damage to Agricultural Growth outside Town
- Sullia: Citizens Heave a Sigh of Relief as Straying Jumbos Beat a Retreat into Forest
- Sullia: Wild Jumbos March into Town Periphery, Camp near KVG Edu-campus
- Sullia: After a Break, Wild Elephants Go on Rampage Again
- Sullia: Wild Elephants Shift Focus from Mandekolu to Aletty, Play Havoc in Farms
- Madikeri: Rogue Elephant Attacks and Kills Woman in Tata Estate in Pollibetta
- Chikkamagaluru: Jumbo Menace Unhindered – 5 Injured in Herd Attack near Mudigere
- Subrahmanya: Kulkunda Farmer Suffers Losses as Wild Elephants Go on Rampage again
- Sullia: After a Break, Wild Elephants Go on Rampage again
- Subrahmanya: Wild Elephant
Marches on Main Road and near Bus-stand
- Madikeri: Wild Elephant
Destroys Compound Wall of Sacred Heart School at Shanivarasante
- Chikkamagaluru: Rogue Elephant Camps and Marches around Right inside Coffee Estate!
- Madikeri: Wild Elephant
Marches Close to Town, Creates Havoc at Wildlife Society Office!
- Subrahmanya: After a Short Gap, Wild Elephants Begin Marching into Farms again
- Puttur: Herd of Wild Elephants Appears on Highway Creating Scare and Insecurity
- Sullia: Agriculturist Dies in Wild Elephant Attack – Scare Spreads in Village
- Puttur: Trouble-maker Tusker Sent on ‘Punishment Transfer’ to Kanthapura Camp!
- Puttur: Tusker Violence – Laxmisha Flings and Kills Mahout Chandra
- Puttur: ‘Jumbo’ Scare in Town – Traffic Disrupted, Curious Mob Caned
- Subrahmanya: Rogue Elephant on Rampage – Farm Growth Damaged
- Beltangady: Rogue Elephant Creates Scare in Residential Areas around Mundaje
- Puttur: Bilinele Resident Critically Injured in Wild Elephant Attack
- Subrahmanya: Jumbo Scare – Wild Elephant’s Royal March on Highway!
- Puttur: Wild Elephants Create
Jumbo Scare among People Working in Farms
- Subrahmanya: Wild Elephants Go on a Rampage in Farms – Heavy Loss Reported
- Sullia: Wild Elephant Uproots and Rolls Giant Tree across Highway – Traffic Blocked
- Puttur: Rogue Elephant Has a ‘Field’ Day in Kombaru